Tuesday 30 November 2010

Just Another Monday


Monday 11th October

Today we left Cambodia into Vietnam, to which the border crossing - I am please to report - was significantly less stressful then the Thailand/ Poipet debacle (see james earlier post!).

The first thing to strike me about Vietnam on leaving Cambodia, having previously left Thailand, is that everywhere isn't so much "same same but different", but more like "same same, but the same"....I tell a lie - the hats have changed, plus all the weird and unrecognizable stuff the street vendors sell off as 'edible' (again, often questionable)....

...then from the window of the coach I see 4 fully grown dogs, cramped, as though still fetal, in a tiny round cage the size of a washing-up bowl strapped to the back of a scooter. 'My god' I thought - I could only imagine at this point where they were going.

.....and then I see a table, outside of a shop at the side of the road, with what appears to be a carcass of an animal on it....my eyes converse with my brain, and they quickly agree that its definitely the body of a dog....no head...no legs....just a tale and tell-tale mottled brown and white markings....The European girl two rows in front of me screams.

That's probably the first time I get the culture shock...."these people actually eat dogs" i'm thinking, and to them, its just another Monday.


(image - Boy carring Pig Head through the streets)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you havent eaten any?

    is that boy wiping his brow or hiding from the camera?

    ReplyDelete